Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What does It Mean to Me to Be A Rotarian

When I first had this idea for the members of my Rotary Club to talk about what it means to them to be a Rotarian it was actually in response to the question: What is a Rotarian? Of course my answer (elevator speech) came right from the published material we all have seen and read at least once; espousing the four ideals (objectives) of Rotary: Opportunity for service, High ethical standards, Ideal of service in our personal life, community, and business; and advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace.

The person then said to me, "No, no. What does it mean to you?" I was taken aback somewhat but recovered and answered, "Rotary allows me the opportunity to give back to others what I have been blessed to receive". I went on to say that my service (and that is what it is) in Rotary continues the trend in my life of serving others. These activities include the military, church and the Boy Scouts of America. I am still involved in the church but left the Army many years ago and when my son matriculated from Scouts as an Eagle Scout I was looking for another avenue of service. I came back to Rotary. Joining Rotary is more than meetings and service projects. I enjoy being around like-minded people who look outward for fulfillment of their life purposes. Rotarians fit that mold. I hope I do as well.

What does it mean to me to be a Rotarian: Service Above Self through Living the Four Way Test.
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build good will and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

That says it all - What it means to be a Rotation and the standards to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment